Smiles 4 Miles
Eat Well Drink Well Brush Well
like Munch Girl like Water Boy like Brush Boy
Play Well Stay Well
Smiles 4 Miles is an oral health promotion program funded by Dental Health Services Victoria and coordinated through Mitchell Community Health. There are seven Mitchell Shire kindergartens and in one Murrindindi kinder, as well as two childcare centres in Kilmore currently taking part in the program. Two Family Day Care facilities will shortly be recruited to also take part in the program.
The Smiles 4 Miles program aims to encourage and recognise early childhood settings that are leading the way in promoting healthy environments for children. The program uses a multifaceted approach including curriculum, policy, parent engagement, community links and role modelling.
The Smiles 4 Miles program gives the early childhood setting the opportunity to explore and implement innovative ways to promote a healthy environment using the key messages
- Eat Well - promoting fresh fruit and vegetables rather than pre-packaged snacks that are high in sugar and/fat
- Drink Well - promoting water rather than sweet drinks
- Clean Well- encouraging regular tooth brushing through curriculum activities and information for parents
- Play Well - encouraging regular, safe active play
- Stay Well - encouraging sunsmart behaviours and links to local dental services
To find out more contact Rowena Exell, Health Promotion Officer on 5784 5555
S4M Logo Cover.doc
Print Friendly Version
Last Updated: 28-Aug-09